Our Aston Martin DB4 photos were taken at automobile museums, car shows and major collector car auctions throughout the USA.
The Aston Martin DB4 was launched in 1958 at the London Motor Show and was built until 1963. The touring-styled DB4 established a look that would survive with only minor revision until 1970. The DB4 had a newly design all-alloy, twin-cam six cylinder engine with a displacement of 3670cc which produced 240bhp at 5,500 rpm. The car also featured a new transmission, frame and suspension.
In September, 1958, Aston Martin announced the production of their new model, the DB4, featuring a detuned version of the 3.7-liter engine developed in their racing program for the DBR2.
The DB4 was the beginning of the successful family of high-performance four-seated saloon cars which would include the DB4GT, DB5, and DB6 and would carry the company into the start of the 1970?s.
During its production life, there were five series of the DB4, each new series introducing improvements to the initial design. The early cars have a mesh grille and simpler bumber design. The later cars are longer and heavier than the early cars. The last of the series V cars have DB5 style headlight covers.
All of the DB4/5/6 cars feature beautiful bodies designed by Touring of Milan and were built using their patented Superleggera (Italian for super light) method of construction. The handmade aluminum body panels are mounted on a steel tube frame.
The chassis was also a completely new innovation for Aston Mastin, being fabricated, platform style, from sheet steel.
The DB4 was in production from 1958 through 1963. A total of 1040 cars were built.
Shortly after the first Aston Martin DB4 was delivered early in 1959, a prototype DB5GT was finished and ready for racing. The GT used a shortened version of the DB4 chassis and had considerably more power with 314 horsepower.
Sterling Moss quickly proved the car's capabilities at Siverstone and the car was put into production by the end of 1959.
The Italian coachbuilder, Zagato, hand-built the bodies for the DB4GT cars. The results were a beautiful, light in weight sports car capable of speeds in excess of 160 mph.
Only 19 cars were originally produced between 1959 and 1963, another batch of cars were produced in the late 1980's by well known Aston Martin specialist, Richard Williams, with the assistance of the Aston Martin factory, using up unused chassis numbers.
The DB4GT was in production from 1959 through 1963. A total of 75 true GT cars were built plus 19 cars that featured the body by Italian coachbuilder Zagato.